Safety & Efficacy
SAFETY & EFFICACY OF BHRT
Why use Bio-Identical Hormones?
Bioidentical hormones are hormones which are identical in structure and function to the hormones produced by your body. Since bioidentical hormones are identical to those that the body produces for itself, we feel it makes more sense to use these types rather than hormones from horses, or synthetic versions which are not identical in chemical structure to what your body produces. There have been numerous published studies which conclude bioidentical hormones produce fewer side effects.
Following are three papers published in major medical journals highlighting the positive effects of BHRT.
“Compounded Transdermal Hormone Therapy and Effects on Hemostatic and Immunologic Factors in Peri- and Post-Menopausal Women” (Circulation. 2008;118:S_1139-S_1140).
• “The 1-year findings are pretty encouraging,” lead author Kenna Stephenson, MD, told Medscape Psychiatry. “We thought compounded transdermal hormones would relieve menopausal symptoms, but we didn’t anticipate that they would also have a favorable effect on inflammatory, hemostatic, and cardiometabolic pathways.”
• “All hormones are not equal, and all hormone preparations are not equal,” said Dr. Stephenson. “There are distinctly different risks and effects on inflammatory and thrombotic factors and cardiovascular biomarkers. In this study, CRP and triglycerides decreased in women who received transdermal plant-derived compound hormones, whereas other studies have shown increased CRP and triglycerides in women receiving conventional equine and synthetic hormone therapy,” she added
“The bioidentical hormone debate: are bioidentical hormones (estradiol, estriol, and progesterone) safer or more efficacious than commonly used synthetic versions in hormone replacement therapy?” (Postgrad Med. 2009 Jan;121(1):73-85).
• RESULTS: Patients report greater satisfaction with HRTs that contain progesterone compared with those that contain a synthetic progestin. Bioidentical hormones have some distinctly different, potentially opposite, physiological effects compared with their synthetic counterparts, which have different chemical structures.
• CONCLUSION: Physiological data and clinical outcomes demonstrate that bioidentical hormones are associated with lower risks, including the risk of breast cancer and cardiovascular disease, and are more efficacious than their synthetic and animal-derived counterparts. Until evidence is found to the contrary, bioidentical hormones remain the preferred method of HRT. Further randomized controlled trials are needed to delineate these differences more clearly.
“The effects of compounded bioidentical transdermal hormone therapy on hemostatic, inflammatory, immune factors; cardiovascular biomarkers; quality-of-life measures; and health outcomes in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women” (Int J Pharm Compd. 2013 Jan-Feb;17(1):74-85).
• Conventional hormone replacement therapy results in increased thrombotic events, and an increased risk of breast cancer and dementia as evidenced in large prospective clinical trials including Heart and Estrogen/Progestin Replacement Study I and the Women’s Health Initiative.
• Administration of compounded transdermal bioidentical hormone therapy in doses targeted to physiologic reference ranges administered in a daily dose significantly relieved menopausal symptoms in peri/postmenopausal women. Cardiovascular biomarkers, inflammatory factors, immune signaling factors, and health outcomes were favorably impacted, despite very high life stress, and home and work strain in study subjects. The therapy did not adversely alter the net prothrombotic potential, and there were no associated adverse events. This model of care warrants consideration as an effective and safe clinical therapy for peri/postmenopausal women especially in populations with high perceived stress and a history of stressful life events prior to, or during the menopausal transition.
BHRT -How we can help you!
Compounded bioidentical hormones can be customized to meet the unique needs of each woman with lower doses, special combinations and unique delivery methods. Compounded bioidentical hormones are prescribed by a health care provider and made in our state of the art compounding laboratory by our compounding specialist Pam Bramlett, R.Ph. We will take the time to find out about your unique needs and medical conditions, and work with your health care provider to find the best solutions for you.
Compounding Solutions Pharmacy – Compounding Bio-Identical Hormone Delivery Forms
We can compound bioidentical hormone medications (Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA, Pregnenolone, & Thyroid) in the following delivery forms that will increase compliance, maximize the potential for therapeutic success, and reduce the potential for unwanted side effects:
• Transdermal Creams & Gels
• Sublingual drops
• Vaginal Suppositories
• And others!
Is a Compounded Prescription Right for Me?
• Talk to your health care provider – Discuss compounding as a treatment option, and let your health care provider know you heard about prescription compounding from Compounding Solutions Pharmacy.
• Contact Us – To inquire about potential treatment strategies, and how Compounding Solutions Pharmacy can help you.
115 Pelham Road, Suite 12
Greenville, South Carolina 29615
Telephone 864-558-0507 Fax 864-558-0509
9:30 to 5:30 pm Monday – Friday